Ocean Literacy and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
The Lincoln County School District is committed to building on the strengths of its communities to provide students with opportunities to be the best-prepared oceanic science students in the country. Click here to learn more about our Ocean Literacy Initiatve. We also focus on using our coastal resources and partners to provide outstanding STEM learning opportunities for our students.
We are fortunate to have many Ocean Literacy partners. Click on each to go to their website. For contact information specifically regarding partnership activities with LCSD, click here.
- Hatfield Marine Science Center
- Oregon Sea Grant @ HMSC
- Oregon Sea Grant @ OSU
- Oregon Coast Aquarium
- Marine Discovery Tours
- Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
- Oregon Hatchery Research Center
- Bureau of Land Management's Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area
- Oregon State University , Free Choice Learning Lab
- MidCoast Watershed Council
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Westwind Stewardship Group
- Oregon State Parks-Central Coast
Since August, 2009, LCSD has been the recipient of two U.S. Department of Education Math Science Partnership grants that provide over 80 hours per year of Ocean STEM related professional development for our teachers, and exciting field based learning experiences for our students. Go to each project’s website for more information and resources.
Oregon Coast Regional STEM Education Center (2012-2014)
Oregon Coast Aquatic & Marine Science Partnership (OCAMP) (2009-2013)
Visual and Performing Arts
Lincoln County schools have a strong arts community interested in supporting the arts programs in all schools. Through fundraising and grant efforts led by Oregon Coast Council for the Arts, Let There Be Arts, Newport Visual Arts Center and the Newport Symphony, Lincoln County Schools have had opportunities that include: Artist-in-residence programs; Student opportunities to perform with musicians; Visiting musician performances (such as Sea String Quartet); and Theater and cultural dance performances.
- Newport Visual Arts Center: Provides opportunities for students to show their art work annually in May.
- Newport Symphony: Provides Lincoln county music Students the opportunity to perform with the Portland Youth Symphony, and all students to experience the symphony.
- Oregon Council for the Arts: Coordinates the local visual and performing arts community, including the Performing Arts Center events.
- Writers On the Edge: A non-profit organization dedicated to literary arts education and performance in Lincoln County. They provide writing workshops for students and teachers.
- Lincoln City Cultural Center: A non-profit organization with a mission to enrich the community through art and cultural events in the historic Delake School. They provide a variety of workshopds for youth.
Ruth McDonald, Community Curriculum Resource Liaison
phone: (541) 574-5826